Yesterday was my first day back at work after being away for almost a year !
To be honest, the night before was the worst. I was feeling really depressed about no longer being able to be with Sophie nearly 24/7. Yesterday, for example, was the first time the two of us have been more than 4 hours apart !
I worried that I would miss her milestones, I worried that she would no longer feel attached to me and prefer my Mum or my helper (my lovely Mama came down from Hong Kong for 3 weeks to help us transition through my return to work). I worried that I would miss my baby so much that I wouldn’t be able to function.
And then I also worried that I wouldn’t be able to adapt back to the office – 1 year out of the loop meant that I would practically have to start from scratch, re-establishing my contacts, re-learning all the processes, getting back into the Yahoo! team culture, juggling motherhood and work.
This is when I say I feel completely blessed by God.
First off, my bosses at Yahoo! are really, really amazing. Not only were they extra welcoming and practically hand-held me through the entire re-orientation, they kept reminding me to take it easy and were all smiles even when I made my first mistake. I will never forget how understanding they were of my decision to take no-pay leave during a difficult pregnancy or how much support they have extended to me then and now. I now work from 3-7 pm in the office, before heading to my parents’ place to pick up Sophie and then working from 8-12 midnight.
Although I am completely exhausted, I know I am so much luckier than other Mums who cannot see their babies from 9-5 and for this, I am truly thankful.
And Sophie? Well she’s still the extremely easy baby she’s always been. She had no problems spending the day at my parents’ and according to my helper, spent the whole afternoon giggling and playing with my three brothers, napping and drinking her milk like a champ. Sometimes I wish she’d miss me more, but I know its better this way – I can’t imagine how those working mothers whose babies scream and cry when I leave deal with the stress and guilt !
This is my daily schedule now:
- 9 am – Wake up. Check on Sophie in her nursery – if she’s awake, I start prepping her bath and bathe her. This is followed by dressing her, giving her her daily baby massage, and singing at the top of my voice to make her laugh so she associates mornings with happiness. 🙂
- 9:30 am – Story telling and Nursery Rhyme Time. I prop Sophie in her Stokke Tripp Trapp and we read a book together before singing through Nursery Rhymes.
- 10 am – Sophie gets sick of the books and singing. She will indicate this by sticking out her lower lip and squeaking with irritation. I put her on tummy time since she is cranky anyway. In the meantime, I take a 2 minute bath (because that’s all I have), drink up a large glass of cold-pressed juice made the night before, shovel oats into my mouth, do the baby and human laundry, empty out the tub, and feed the dog.
- 10:30 am – Sophie gets off tummy time sobbing and red nosed. I put her into her Bumbo and let her watch 10 minutes of television while I clean the floors with my Magiclean stick, and pack her diaper bag.
- 11 am – Time for her feed! She can take about 120 ml at this stage, so I feed her, again on her Tripp Trapp (elevation is better for them when they are drinking), encouraging her to hold her own bottle. After her feed, she is generally sleepy, so I put her into her cot, turn on her cot mobile, and she takes her first nap. In the next hour, I reply e-mails, check Facebook, check Instagram, try to clean the house a little bit more, and stone a little.
- 12 noon – She wakes. I let her slowly wake up in her cot, if she’s not fussy I leave her there to self-entertain as I start going through news sites for work, slap on some makeup, put on whatever clean clothes are available and get ready to leave.
- 1 pm – I head to my Mum’s place with the baby and her giant diaper bag
- 2 pm – I leave for work
- 8 pm – I return to my Mum’s place with K, we have dinner, and then head home
- 9-12 midnight I continue working online, K plays with the baby, cleans her up, gives her another two feeds and puts her to sleep.
- I head to the kitchen for 20 minutes of mindless cold pressed juicing (our supper and breakfast for the next day)
- 1 am – I pass out.
But you know, a busy life is generally a full life ! I also now have a little small online business on the side. 🙂 So many people ask me in person, on Instagram, on Facebook and on my blog where I buy all of Sophie’s stuff – bows, shoes, clothes, toys, etc. And since I shop so much, I thought, why not just buy more and bring them into Singapore too? We can all benefit from the bulk discounts 🙂
The site is still under construction and will be launched in about 2 weeks, but we are already on Instagram @thelittlebowco 🙂 Check us out there for the trendiest binky / binky clips, our signature bows, and lovely hand made leather moccasins from the USA !