Most of you who follow us on Instagram (@littlebowgirl, we update much more regularly there!) would also know that Sophie-doll started school about 2 weeks ago 🙂
I’m saving our school-going experience for another post where I will share about how we picked her school and how its been for us so far, but today, I’m focusing on how we prepped, practically, for her first day of school!
Some things we needed to prepare for her first day were (she’s on a half-day session)
- A backpack big enough to hold half a day’s worth of essentials
- A new water bottle light enough to keep in her backpack, which would most importantly have to be leak proof, easy to hold and non-fragile
- Labels, because you have to label EVERYTHING!
Most schools will give you a packing list to prepare for your child’s first day, so you won’t have to worry! (We were super last minute about enrollment and ended up missing the orientation, so we had to call to find out what to pack!) But if you’re curious, here’s what I pack in her bag every day!
- A labelled ziploc bag with at least 5 disposable diapers
- A snack catcher with a small portion of either cookies or date balls
- Her water bottle
- A labelled ziploc bag with an extra set of clothes
- Her milk bottle and one helping of formula powder
- A packet of wipes
Well, Sophie-Rose is really super lucky because we were approached by Sticker Kid just a few weeks before school started and Mama also received some great products from Bloom and Grow Asia to review – and we’re here to share our finds with you, along with discount codes and two wonderful giveaways that are perfect if your bub is about to start school. 🙂
*disclaimer* Sophie-doll and I received these items to give honest reviews about. We did NOT receive any monetary compensation and all opinions expressed are our own
First up, labelling
All the items in her bag need to be labelled – the rationale is simple, the teachers watch over so many kids at a time and its easy to mix everyone’s items up. So from uniforms, to shoes, bottles and bags, most schools require every item to be carefully and prominently labelled.
So yes, I could have just bought plain old black and white labels, but you guys should know by now that I just LOVE personalizing all of mine and Sophie’s stuff. I think it makes it easier, when they are colorful and distinctive, for the baby or child herself to spot and identify their own items.
I’ve ordered from other brands before, but was disappointed when the labels leaked color or started to peel after a few washes, especially in the case of her water bottle. So I actually took a while to decide to take up a collaboration with Sticker Kid – by reading other reviews online and reading up about the technology behind their stickers.
Here’s what convinced me to try them out
- It’s a small family run business started by a couple who have their own kids. If anyone knows best how to make kid’s products work, its hands-on parents who know exactly what we look for in a product!
- They started in 2004 – that’s a good ten years of product testing and experience.
- It’s a Swiss-made product. I have a lot of faith in Swiss-made stuff, be it watches, chocolates, shoes – they are often top quality, made with precision and thought and care, and of course, non-toxic.
- They are washing machine safe, microwave safe, freezer safe and water resistant. I have not experienced or seen any other product in the market that makes this promise, so I was really excited to try out Sticker Kid’s labels.
- All their products are highly customizable – for fonts, for little fairies, dinosaurs, etc and come in so many different sizes and uses!
Here’s the starter pack we received and which I customized for Sophie-Rose. She loved them!
Starter Pack includes:
- 20 clothing stickers (iron-ons)
- 14 shoe stickers (especially designed with a round edge for shoes)
- 60 small stickers (for bottles, toothbrushes, pens, and more)
Here’s how we used some of them!
For the backs of her shoes, I used the small stickers instead.
This is as her shoes are still pretty tiny, and I was worried that the labels wouldn’t be easily visible from external view. So I decided to use the smaller labels and stick them to the back of her shoes! They worked like a charm and after almost three weeks of hard use, running through sand, mud and more, they are still firmly stuck to the back of her shoes and have not faded or started to have a “scratched” appearance which poorly printed stickers may have.
I also used the small stickers for her bottles and they have withstood daily washing for 21 days, sometimes in boiling water as well. I can personally vouch for the durability of these stickers – they go on like a dream and despite not feeling actually super sticky to the touch (they didn’t get caught on my fingers), they adhered VERY well to a variety of surfaces.
Next, I decided to use the shoe stickers more creatively. They aren’t just limited for use on shoes, by the way!
I decided to challenge these stickers – by using them on my treasured Ju Ju Be Perky Toki diaper bag collection.
I think most Ju Ju Be users will know that in order for the bags to have that water-resistant, teflon like surface, they are often so smooth that its hard to get a good grip on the bag. Basically, nothing sticks that can’t be easily peeled off in a minute.
I put the shoe stickers to the test, and again, about a month on the stickers are still firmly adhered to that smooth JJB surface. This is despite Sophie Rose trying repeatedly to remove them, and that the Better Be (on the left) is subjected to quite a bit of wear as we use it almost every day to go everywhere. I’m really impressed by the quality.
Here’s a basic breakdown as to why I would recommend Sticker Kid – from a parent, to a parent.
- The stickers are non-toxic, extremely hardy, and multi-purpose
- This one is really a huge plus – they are soft and malleable to almost any surface. Previous stickers I bought couldn’t go over curved or rounded surfaces without scrunching up at the sides (and therefore rendering them not waterproof)
- I love the cute designs! There are styles to suit everyone
- They also do iron-ons, so its super convenient to just get all your labelling needs at one place.
- The quality is fantasitc
- Ordering was a breeze and I received them very quickly – within a week!
The only items I have tried out and therefore cannot review are the iron-ons – we are still waiting for her uniforms to arrive (we had to order an Extra Small and they were out because most of their kids wear S and up, -sob- my skinny minny!) But I will update this review once they are here and I’ve tried them out! They are meant to withstand at least 60 washes at 45 degrees so they sound super hardy!
Anyway, the lovely people at Sticker Kid agreed to my requests for BOTH a discount code AND a giveaway for my readers (you guys!) because I really believe this is a product you will absolutely love!
The 10 percent (yay!) discount code for Sticker Kid is:
And you can shop them at http://www.stickerkid.sg
And the giveaway for Little Bow Girl is a package of 20 beyond adorable heart stickers which you can customize for your little girl or boy!
To enter the giveaway, simply enter this RaffleCopter link below, and fulfill all the criteria and you’re in! The more criteria you complete, the higher your chances of winning this great giveaway!
Good luck! Can’t wait to see the entries 🙂
Libby and Sophie Rose